Monday, February 25, 2013

XPlusAlong

did you join in the xplusalong on instagram? I got addicted at the beginning of Feb but since then other sewing projects have been more important and ive put my blogs to one side but oh how I love them!

Im no good at scrappy, I love how other peoples look but my brain doesnt seem to work like that, so I pulled a stack of pinks, a stack of aqua, some navy's and a few that might mix in nicely. I also wanted to use texty neutrals for the backgrounds
 These were my first 4, ive gone with the same size that Amy Badskirt has a tutorial for as I like the proportions better than the 12" block. Its a really nice block to make, it does have a bit of wastage though, I tried to reduce the waste with my first block by cutting the background neutrals as hsts instead of sewing them on as whole squares and then trimming! The block is useable but its not crisp and neat so I decided to just go with waste instead



 So addictive!
 I found the perfect backing fabric in Spotlight, a beautiful feather voile. I really cant wait to get back to making more blocks and getting this quilt finished, I have a feeling it might be a long term WIP though as I still have lots of other things that need to be done more urgently. I think I have 16 blocks done now and im not sure how big I will end up making it, probably lap quilt size but we will see!

4 comments:

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side said...

Love that feather voile!

Danielle said...

I love your blocks! They're so different to others around with the + part popping out in front so much, really striking. And that feather voile is gorgeous. I'm almost tempted to make the trek to Spottie to find some! :)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

So lovely and calming xxx

ayumills said...

Youe x and plus blocks are so inspiring now I am wondering if I should join the qal!